Monday, July 26, 2010

Memories of Summer 2010...Summer-ized

So here we are, "back in the saddle," so to speak. Of course, there aren't really any horses around to speak of, and those that we do see are so skinny I couldn't imagine putting a saddle on them, let alone hopping onto one. What I mean is that we're back in Indonesia, school starts tomorrow, uniforms and school supplies are purchased, organized (Abby) and ready to go. I was told that when I returned back to Lippo from Canada I'd suffer culture shock and that it would be a difficult transition. I have to say that we've been here a week tomorrow, and I haven't regretted our return. Of course I LOVED visiting our family, friends and hiking/walking/fishing/camping/canoeing/swimming (NOT...way too cold), but seeing that we've signed on for at least one more year, I'm not dreading it in any sense of the word. In fact, I've been thrilled so many times over since returning, just to see our community and how it's changed with the arrival of newbies and the departure of some good friends as well. I was a little worried that I'd pine so terribly over the ones I left back in Canada that I wouldn't be able to readjust here, but all is well.

I have admit though, I had a lovely summer and the highlights were definitely those spent with my beautiful, hilarious, talented and rambunctious nieces and nephews. It's those memories that will carry me over to our next visit next summer. There are so many things to think on, to turn over in my memory and savour, to smile about and even chuckle now and then (like when Elijah, 5, asked my mom, "Grandma, are you over 100 years old yet?"). I've wondered how I will record those memories on this blog and am not sure that it is possible. With over 25oo photos and about 7 slideshow/movies, I have visuals to last me at LEAST 11 months.

I can't believe it, but there are actually things we didn't do this year, like lay out and watch the stars (it took too long...we go to bed too early!), swim in a lake (tooooo cold), eat a roast ham with mashed potatoes and creamed corn (forgot!), and eat a peach. However, we did so many other things that I am going to list those I can remember off the top of my head, just for posterity sake.

WE: played mini-golf; rode tandem with Poppa; tore down Paul & Laura's drywall (renos); had weiner roasts at the Big Rock; took "cousin" photos at White Rock; rode a gondola and stood where Olympians stood at Whistler; ate ice cream on the pier; toured UBC (too many changes for my liking. Does this mean I'm getting old??); watched a parade; ate lemon crunch cookies and bought more to bring home; visited the Vancouver Art Gallery (a date Tris and I have promised each other for almost 20 years); witnessed my girlfriend officially become a nurse; picked out and am now wearing a 40th birthday diamond ring; hiked 8 km up and down a mountain, with an incredible ocean view at the top; visited little Zoey and her brother Zak, and older sister Eliana (Zoey's the one we've been praying for); picked berries; learned a few words to Justin Bieber songs; swam in a man-made pond; Ikea; ran into Indonesian friends in YVR; took morning walks along a river; checked out a few antique stores; met old friends; ate enough to feed an Indonesian family of 3 for a year; celebrated my 40th (many times over); golfed into the ocean (and searched unsuccessfully for those golf balls later); ate s'mores (many times); visited family in Port Alberni; dressed up special for a breakfast with the Devries cousins; rode bikes; walked the beach; slept on the beach; ran into Miranda in Port Alberni (how unlikely and how serependipitous ~ sp?~); visited Coombs (Goats on the Roof); hung with brothers and sisters; hung with cousins; hung with grandparents; played fetch with Willie (how sad the poor little guy was when we left!!); camped in really cold weather; camped with my girlfriends (Kim); canoed; kissed Fisher's fat cheeks; fished (ate a trout!); cooked meals over a fire; gained weight; celebrated our niece's "coming of age" at a very special party; cleaned out our storage locker; ate a 14A at the Saigon Noodle House (yum!); saw Fred and met my namesake for the first time (she's 9!!); visited dear friends; ran into wonderful friends; shopped on 5th Street; played bocci; had a water fight; rode a motorcycle for the first time (Matt); saw a coyote; saw a mama bear and 2 cubs (barely saw them through the telescope but I'll count it); saw HUNDREDS of deer; saw oodles of eagles; saw my first salamander; DIDN'T SEE A WHALE; learned the moves of a Jedi warrior (from a professionally trained 5 year old who knows them ALL); ate raspberries off the branch; folded dryer-fluffed laundry; heard frustrating news at our home church; met baby Benjamin who wasn't supposed to be born until after we left; sat on the back porch and listened to Gipsy Kings; scraped a blackberry pie off the walls, floor and suitcase; met my nephew for the first time; met my sister-in-law for the first time; chopped wood; cried when I left our families; ate at Dick's Fish and Chips; got my skirt sucked up into a leaf blower (hilarious...skirt is toast; I'm ok); o dear, what else did we do, or rather, what DIDN'T we do???

I'm out of breath, my computer is blinking red (no power left) and Matthew is insisting I turn out the big light so that he can go to sleep. I guess that's it for tonight.

Thanks for reading


2 comments:

Chris said...

Nice post, Kim. Glad to hear you had a wonderful visit! Forest fires on the Mainland are affecting the sky here. It's hazy and the sky is a brialliant fuzzy orange. It also smells like smoke---all the way from the Interior! Weird.

Chris said...

er, that's: brilliant.