Wednesday, February 29, 2012

February Update


Wow, things have changed!  It used to be that I'd write a post every 2nd day or so, which graduated to once a week, and now, sadly, once a month.  However, maybe that's not sad.  It's just an indication that I actually have a life now, or at least one that keeps my mind busy.  There have been a lot of things going on here, some worthy of sharing, others that if I wrote down would just seem kind of random, but things we enjoy regardless.  

Matthew has finished his grade 10 personal project (otherwise known as his "pp"...I hate it when people call it that) and has gone back into his old routine of hanging out more, homework less.  His project was to make a photo book about Jakarta and the surrounding areas, and he did an excellent job.  He's got a great eye for shots, and it shows.  Two days ago he and some friend from school were filming their modern take on Romeo and Juliet in our living room.  That was interesting, especially when his sports jock friend donned a pink dress and played the role of ... I'm not really sure.  

Abby is plugging along with her schoolwork and sports.  She's worked hard too, and I think both kids are ready for the upcoming Easter break.  Tris and I have gone to watch some of her soccer games and it's nice to see how much the girls have improved over the year.  Improvement is good;)

O dear, as I write this, our helper has arrived for work.  It's raining outside, she's got her big padded winter-looking jacket on and she's shivering.  I can admit to actually shivering here in Indonesia outside once...I was thrilled, thinking I'm becoming Indonesian!  She walked in saying "Dingin sekali!!  (Very cold!)"  Yes, it's a cold 27 degrees out there, with a wind chill factor.

Tris is starting into his new job, training for next year's Curriculum Co-ordinator.  He loves the position and is looking forward to the challenges that it will bring.  He'll keep teaching a little bit, but will mostly work at this position.  He's been playing guitar and writing songs lately, inspired a lot by the things we're learning about God and the roles He plays in our lives.  And he continues to golf...

He's golfing and playing guitar even more now that I've started my Masters in Arts of Teaching (MAT) and am not around to hang with as much.  I'm 3 weeks in and have got many, many more to go!  The first week was hell, I admit.  Twenty years of no reading, writing or research, and then I have assignments due that have to sound at least semi-intellectual.  However, I survived and will continue to do so until I can call myself a teacher.  I actually think I'm a bit addicted to studying, which may be a good thing, so I'll just run with it.

One thing before I head off.  There's a BC family that lives here in Lippo with us (they're from Smithers).  Their 2 year old daughter, Kiera, was recently diagnosed with Viral Encephalitis, and has had some serious symptoms from it.  After 3-4 weeks of dealing with it here in Indo and then in Singapore, Kiera and  her mom will fly to Vancouver, BC to head to Children's Hospital.  They are hoping to leave Singapore on Friday.  Kiera's dad and 6 month old son will stay here until the school year is out.  Please join our family and our community in praying for Kiera and her family, for healing, intervention, patience and stamina as they go without being together for a long time.  Thank you!

Thanks for reading.

No comments: