Saturday, April 3, 2010

Spring Break (but where's Spring???)


The holidays are here and you'd think I'd have spent some time blogging on my computer. We chose not to go anywhere during this Spring (?) Break, in order to save for our upcoming trip to Canada. It has been a quiet time for us, full of sports, shopping, food and some fellowship. Most people went away for at least four days to places like Thailand (Phuket, Phi Phi Islands), Singapore, Hong Kong, Bali and other Indonesian locations. Before most families left, we had a game of softball, and it was a great way to start off the holidays.

Our family headed once again to Anyur Beach, about 1 1/2 hours from our front door. This time I didn't take my camera, but I did take some prints of photos I'd taken the previous visit. I was able to distribute these and in doing so, realized that some of the best photos I could have taken were the smiles on the faces of the Indonesians receiving a photo of themselves. I've been instructed to bring my camera next time so that we can take a group photo of myself and all of the ladies working on the beach (massages, mat rentals, banana & food sales).


There is a place in Jakarta called Mangga Dua, and in it there are some excellent, truly
Indonesian spots to shop. Rebecca and I shopped there when she was here, and I've been a few times with friends. This holiday is a bit unique in that most of Indonesia is not on holidays, our school is, and my

family hasn't gone anywhere. I realized that this may be the one and only time my family may see Mangga Dua without the crowds, and that's the only way I'll ever get Tris to agree to go along. To me, it's a great "Indonesian Experience." We headed out with Haris, and our friend Jamie came along. Our very favourite purchases were our wigs: Matt bought the white one for a skit he and his friends are wanting to do for YouTube. We were also able to find really inexpensive jeans for Abby and some other odds and ends.

This Wednesday Abby and I had the privilege of heading for the second time to some slums. These ones are probably the worst I've been at here,
with the children and their families using the filthy river water for their bathing and washing. We're not sure about cooking, but it's not a healthy situation, regardless. It was one of our first times riding in an Angkot, a typical Indonesianmode of transportation that most foreigners don't get a chance to experience. One of the reasons we stay away from them is that we really don't know where they're headed!

This is a photo of the teachers who have allowed us to come along with them, and of the regular Angkot driver that they hire each week to deliver and pick them up. What is most exciting to me about this trip, and the last, is that Abby has had opportunity to teach English to some of her peers. I helped with the little ones next door, but stuck my head around the corner now and then to see her in action. She's a great teacher! Other than watching Abby, one of my other favourite things about visiting this area is the greeting, or 'salam,' that the children give us each time we arrive and depart. Regardless of their age, the children take your hand and place either their lips or the side of their face on the top of your hand, and bow a little when they do so. It's a very humbling greeting.

Surprisingly, we haven't spent much time swimming, but we have taken advantage of the empty tennis courts, and Abby's been practicing her basketball shots as much as she can. She received some wise sports advice from her coach, who told the girls on her team to bounce the ball around the yard, the neighbourhood and even in the house as much as possible. Unfortunately, although she's a very obedient kid and does as the coach suggested, I disagree, but my opinion doesn't go very far in that area because, well, I'm married to the coach.

In one way this has been an odd holiday for me, because my kids are getting older and doing much more of their own thing. Although they're growing and Tris and I seem to be shrinking, when Tris and I went to an few outlet stores to buy some clothes, the kids didn't want to come. Imagine that, not wanting to buy stuff! They preferred to stay home by themselves. *Sigh*. On that note, remember Mr Plaid? We've made a deal. Tris was allowed to buy a whole bunch of good quality shirts (really inexpensive, too!) IF he got rid of his plaid shirts that he's been wearing for years. I think it was an easy decision for him, especially since he wore his plaid shirts constantly during the time he struggled with his shoulder pain (they were easier to get on). Now he's Mr Golf Shirt.

So, all in all, not a terribly exciting holiday but definitely a relaxing one, and one where we got to explore the Jakarta area a bit.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim I think I would love to have gone with Abby and you to the poor area.I realize when you were sharing that a part of me has been left in Indonesia and I really think the time we spent with Maria in the slums was so very special to me.I CAN'T get to you on facebook or hot mail from Darren's(he's not home to help me).I did find the camera. Chrystal went out in the morning after both Darren and I had looked in the car and she found it. I think an angel put it there when we were sleeping.I love you Mom.

magicandmystery said...

I definitely want to go to the wig store when I come visit! It looks fun!!! I love dressing up in crazy clothes.