Monday, May 3, 2010

Proud to be Canadian


I love being Canadian. I'm coming home soon (gonna kiss the soil when I land, either that or jump for joy) and so of course my country is on my mind. I have to say I have neglected to keep up with local new, provincial news and for that matter, national news. I do know, however, that the Canucks just won 5-1 against Chicago Blackhawks yesterday, and I know that because we got to watch a game LIVE at 7 am Sunday morning. Unfortunately, during the week we'll have to miss the rest of the games because we go to bed around 9 pm, when we'd get the feed here, to wake up at 5 am the next morning.

A few weeks ago I had the privilege to speak to a kindergarten class in the local Montessori school about Canada. Not knowing what age I was going to address, I arrived with all sorts of goodies: loonies, toonies, a Canadian flag, books, photos, weird Canadian word definitions, an Eskimo doll (close enough...same continent!!!), and as much information as I could cram into a 40 minute period. To be honest, I am not sure that the young audience believed me when I told them of my Canadian upbringing. Some of the stories I told were: of the time my dad brought an abandoned bear cub home and we bottle fed it (in tears) when it cried out "ma...ma...ma"; of playing street hockey and yelling 'CAR!' every time a car passed (difficult to believe in a country that has a population density number/square kilometer of 123.7 compared to Canada's 3.3); of going outside and picking berries off of bushes near my house (berries grow on bushes??); and finally, a variety of snow stories that I could only compare to them sticking their heads in their fridge freezers. Some things are hard to relate to!

I thoroughly enjoyed talking about Canada, and by the time I finished I was ready to stand up and belt out our National Anthem...
O Canada, look out, here we come!!

Thanks for reading.

No comments: