Saturday, February 19, 2011

Matthew's News

 Matthew's had an exciting 10 days.  Two Saturdays ago,  after much cajoling of his parents ("Seriously, I need braces really soon" "Mom, have you made my dentist appointment yet?""Can't wait until next Saturday when I get my braces on"--parent's response:  "crazy teenager"), Matthew had a pair of braces installed.  No more teeth have been pulled, but the orthodontist here says she'll wait to see what his teeth look like when the braces are removed.  Lucky kid has inherited his mom's small jaw and someone else's large teeth.  
Now I see why they'd look at a woman's teeth in the old days when determining whether or not she was a good candidate for marriage.  They weren't looking for cavities and healthy gums, they were looking to see what the potential "teeth" combination might be in future babies.  I'll have to remember that when my kids begin bringing home 'special friends.'  "Hi, I'm Matt's mom.  Can I have a look at your teeth?  That's right, give me a big smile. Now open wide..." 




Matt's new look
or "You're here to pick up Abby?  I remember hearing about you...you came and talked to my husband {Tris insists Abby's not going out with a guy unless the guy comes and asks him first}.  Give me a smile...(flashlight shines in his eyes)...ummmm, is that a baby tooth still?  Aren't you 20?  I'm sorry, but this just isn't going to work, because Abby's baby teeth never wanted to fall out either, and she's needed orthodontic intervention.  My grandchildren don't need to go through the same dental trauma.  You'll have to get back into your Lamborghini and head on home.  Sorry."

I'm so glad my parents never looked in Tris' mouth, because although our teeth aren't the greatest match, I really like having him around:)

Matthew's other exciting news is that he has saved up half of the money for a new camera (we promised to contribute the other half) and yesterday went out and bought himself a new Canon EOS 1000D.  Smaller than mine but takes brilliant photos.  Wouldn't you know it, I'm still learning about the manual features on my EOS 40D that we bought in May 2008, and in less than 24 hours he's figured out half of the features on his camera and then some.  We've decided that it's in my best interest if we go on photo dates, where we focus on ONE feature at a time and I take an hour's worth of photos using that one feature.  Of course, he'll teach and I'll be the one learning.  Regardless, it'll be much more fun that learning from a book, which I've been doing periodically.


Here are some examples of things Matt has taken with his point and shoot.  He's really good with close-ups and as parents, we think he has a good eye.

On the way to Canada
a little bit of Germany in Canada

dandelion fluff

in Grandma's Garden

Abby's model of Joan of Arc burning at the stake

No comments: