Sunday, March 20, 2011

Singapore

I'm standing at a computer in the Singapore airport, with 6:36 minutes remaining until I time out.  This is one of the few times I've traveled completely alone and it's a bit of an adventure, but mostly it's just a lot of waiting.  I look around and really appreciate the people around me.  If I ever thought Vancouver was a melting pot, Singapore is a huge stew.  There are more nations represented here than I've ever seen elsewhere, except maybe Expo '86, but back then I wasn't really as aware of the people around me as I was of the people I was with (boys).  I'm standing here and the languages I recognize are (very general) Indian, Chinese, English, Singaporean (it's a wonderful sing-song English that deserves a classification of it's own-lah).  Throughout the day I've heard some European languages and some Asian ones I haven't been able to identify.
Three minutes left and so it's time to close.  I have reports on my 5 day excursion to Singapore, not terribly exciting because it was medically-based, but I did meet some wonderful people along the way.
Thanks for reading.

No comments: