Sunday, July 26, 2009

Last Day of Summer Holidays

We're on the last day count-down of summer. Tomorrow is the first day back for the kids. Matt doesn't know who is in his classes yet and is desperately trying to find out. Abby found out she's in Mr. Steven's class (he's the guy we came over from Singapore with...he's been in our earlier blogs). Most importantly to Abby, her 3 closest friends in grade 6 are in the same class. I think it's time to go back to school...the kids are getting a little stir crazy. I've just had them run the entire taman and do 10 push-ups each, just to get rid of some of their um...energy. Case in point, as I was writing that last sentence they came downstairs in weird get-ups, holding a guitar and a feather duster. They were calling themselves "Nerd Guitar Players," but unfortunately wouldn't let me take a picture. Thankfully we're going bowling in less than an hour.

I've been rereading our blog entries from last July onwards. It's time to organize the posts and get them printed and bound for the kids. Quite the emotional rollercoaster, I must say. It's hard reading your own writing; sometimes I sound whiny and at other times I sound arrogant. Hmm. Maybe these are areas I need to work even harder on. Reflection is so difficult!

One thing I realize is that some posts are ridiculously long and not very exciting at all. That'll be my new resolution for the upcoming school year posts: shorter posts.

Update on Tris: his shoulder is healing quite well. He's going to physio for basics and then comes home and does a more aggressive rehab from some things he's researched online (from reputable sites).

One of the things that I wanted to add to our reflection over the past year is: two of the funniest questions I have been asked since I came to Indonesia.

Question 1: How many caribou (buffalo) do you own? This was an honest question asked by a buffalo herder. He then asked me if I would consider adopting his youngest son.

Question 2: Is the Cannibas leaf the national symbol of Canada? Hmmm, that one got me pretty good. It was asked by an Indonesian national.


Thanks for reading.

No comments: