Tuesday, July 28, 2009

These Are The People In Your Neighbourhood

I went for a walk early this morning with my phone and mp3 in hand, but had no need for the music. It was just before everyone starts leaving for work and it was so lovely and quiet. The breeze was cool enough to be pleasant and the birds were singing high in the trees. There are some frangipane trees around and they've become my favourite flower because of their incredible scent. Lately I've been picking up ones that have dropped from trees and sticking them in bowls around my house. These frangipane flowers have been my motivation to head out in the mornings for a walk, and it worked today. Usually I walk with someone, but today I was alone. It didn't matter, because I felt like I was walking on Sesame Street or Little House or something, with all of the people I ran into even in the early hours.

As I was walking I ran into my friend's driver, Selamat, and so we walked and chatted for a bit. Once I was on my own again three ladies from the local village beside Lippo greeted me and one yelled "Canadian!" Not sure how she knew but she had a huge smile on her face. I vaguely remember chatting with some ladies in that area a LONG time ago about where I lived, etc, so it was probably her. When I heard them mention America I made sure I told them 'Not America...Canada is above." Gotta get that geography lesson in whenever I can. Further on I passed by a friend, a teacher, on his bike. It's really neat walking around and greeting people everywhere. A little reminiscent of Truman on "The Truman Show," now that I think about it.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: