Friday, October 30, 2009

Abby's Award

Blogs are for the blogger to do whatever they want to with, right? Well, as a mom, I am using this opportunity to praise my daughter's achievements. As I wrote in the last posting, today the family was to head to Jakarta to an award ceremony for a Math/English competition, in which Abby received a gold medal. Unfortunately for me, some little bug came back from Bali with me and so I have remained at home with lots of remorse at missing the event and a little guilt that it's the 2nd time I've missed something of Abby's due to illness. It's good Sam is here to stand in as the female figure and to cheer Abby on. Matt was lured to the three hour event by the promise of a Marriott lunch afterwards:)

It has been through word of mouth only that I have heard of Abby's achievements, and it wasn't until last night when I read a letter sent home with Abby of what exactly the University of New South Wales International Mathematics and English competition is. Here is a quote from the newsletter:

SPH {our school, Sekolah Pelita Harapan} results are comparable not only within Indonesian but also across the region. Several of our students will receive recognition...and will be awarded Gold or Silver medals as the highest achievers in Indonesian and the region.


...Please sit down with your child and affirm their efforts as this was not a basic assessment but a world standard competition.

I thought that was pretty exciting, and then when I looked at her results, she's placed in the top 1% (it was a rumour we'd heard but not yet confirmed until last night).

Thanks for letting me share this bit of news with you.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Chris Patterson said...

Wow, Abby! Congratulations on your achievement. And to think I knew you when you were just a wee babe. Do you celebrate Hallowe'en where you are? Claire went on her last trick or treat this year: she was on Olympic skier. (we bought her these neat red Olympic Vancouver 2010 mittens, and she had to work them in her costume!) Liam got his braces on a few days before Hallowe'en, so no treats for him. He was pretty miserable. 'HI' from our household to yours! Chris