Sunday, October 4, 2009

I don't have a lot to say but my aunt sent me this via email and I thought it was a good one. It made me think, although my thoughts wandered from the content of this email to the school that we're involved with. It's interesting being part of a Christian school community in a predominantly (read 90%) Muslim country. I love how the focus is very Christ-centered, and it's more than just praying with the kids in the morning or having devotions. The teachers are encouraged to incorporate biblical worldview into all classes. This isn't always easy to do, especially in classes like PE and Food Tech, but it's still encouraged. There are some muslim, buddhist and hindu students in our school, and they're expected to participate in devotions and discussions as much as the Christian kids. I like it that the kids are challenged to think about the information they're given, and to think about their own spirituality, about whether or not it's important to them, regardless of whether it's important to their parents. They're challenged to make their spiritual growth their own.
One thing that is interesting about our school (and the public domain in general) is that although we have wheelchair access to most rooms, there is not one obviously physically handicapped student in our midst. Curious. Anyways, I digress. Here's the email. . .


After being interviewed by the school administration, the prospective teacher said:
'Let me see if I've got this right.
'You want me to go into that room with all those kids, correct their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse, monitor their dress habits, censor their T-shirt messages, and instill in them a love for learning.
'You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, and raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride.
'You want me to teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, and how to register to vote, balance a checkbook, and apply for a job.
'You want me to check their heads for lice, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, and make sure that they all pass the final exams.
'You also want me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps, and communicate regularly with their parents in English, Spanish or any other language, by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.
'You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps.
'You want me to do all this and then you tell me. . . I CAN'T PRAY?

No comments: