Monday, December 7, 2009

Countdown for the Whites' Arrival!

Happy Birthday to Grandpa Tris, who we will be seeing in only 4 more days! Our family is excited, anticipating the arrival of both Tris' parents and of Christmas. Christmas is just so much better with family. We're off to Bali while they're here and are looking forward to relaxing in the sun.

We are also patiently awaiting the news of the arrival of our new niece or nephew. As before, we are wondering if this one will be a redhead like his/her pretty mom. Tanya, my baby brother's wife, was due December 2nd and is still waiting on this little one. Elijah and Lucy are eagerly awaiting baby's arrival as well, although it's a toss up between the dog ("Muddy") that Elijah seems to think he's getting next summer, and the new baby. Being the talker that he is, I'm looking forward to hearing Elijah's stories of baby's first few days home. Six year old Lucy will be good for filling in the gaps that four year old Elijah leaves out.

Christmas here is definitely different. Although it's becoming more so in North America, here Jesus is not typically see as the reason for the season. There are trees, carols in the malls, tinsel and decorations, but very few "Merry Christmas's" and those only from foreigners. I did see Santa tonight, sitting in a horse-drawn sleigh, making his rounds of each gated neighbourhood. Mostly he was authentic, but rather "brown" to North American standards. I think he was a little overdressed for the heat as well, but he had the nice round belly all Santas need to jiggle while they laugh. As of yet there have been no nativity scenes on front lawns. I am looking forward to the grade 6 Christmas concert this Friday afternoon, and then another all-school one next week. My Moms' bible study will meet here this Wednesday and we'll have some mulled cider, exchange cookies and even sing some carols around the piano. Now THAT'S celebrating Christmas:)

If I have ever had need of prayer, it's now. My camera died and is in the shop, and everyday I see things I NEED to photograph, like the naturally-occuring heart shape in a tree on main street, or the old bicycle leaning on a palm tree. We have no idea when it'll get fixed and I am feeling desperate to have it for when Tris and Sunny are here.

As for celebrating, I also want to wish my mom and dad a happy 44th anniversary (again, I am so bad at math! Please forgive me if I'm wrong) for last Friday, 4th of December. Thanks for being the example of a good, strong Christian marriage.

Thanks for reading, and
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

No comments: