Thursday, February 18, 2010

Community

Early this morning, around 5:30 am, I received a call from my helper (some call her a maid but I don't go there). She was unable to come into work because, as she said, "there was some excitement in my home last night." Apparently around 10 pm, after her children were asleep, a fire broke out in the home just behind hers. She lives in what I think might be like a quad, where four homes are attached somehow. According to what I understood on a poor phone connection and basic English, the family completely lost their home. No one was hurt, but all was destroyed. There are a variety of types of homes in the kampungs (villages) I've seen, from cement and brick with ceramic roofs, to wood walls and wooden roofs, and the poorer ones of metal bits and cardboard or pressboard. My helper's is made of wood and cement, with a wooden roof, and so that would have been the same of the burnt home. When I asked how the fire was put out, she replied "Lots of water." The whole community got together, gathered water, and threw it on the fire.

I think Ami is extremely thankful for her neighbours, because she said her house would have been next had they not put out the fire. There is something to be said for community.

Just last week two of our staff members left SPH for Canada. They are a young, newly married couple who are an integral part of the teaching staff, and they've gone because the wife has been diagnosed with Hodgkins disease. She's gone back home for treatment, and both leave a huge gap here at SPH. Just before they left, Tris, Matthew and I had the privilege to say goodbye to them in their apartment, and they commented how overwhelmed they were by the sense of community that they've felt since the diagnosis. Students, parents, staff and teachers have showed their appreciation in a variety of ways, and it's good to see. Another national teacher is having to take another leave for cancer treatment as well, and all three positions are being filled by SPH teachers. Classes are being rearranged and people are taking on some areas that they didn't sign up for but they're content to do it, especially because of the circumstances. From my perspective, what I see is a very strong sense of community and I really appreciate it. It makes me feel good to be a part of it, if only as a teacher's wife. I only wish the circumstances were different for those having to take a leave.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: