Thursday, December 4, 2008

To Market, to Market....Jiggety, Jig

Yesterday was a long day, and a full one for me, just like I like 'em!

goats and sheep waiting for their end...they will be purchased for sacrifice in the mosques

Tris and the kids headed off to school and my friend Henny picked me up to take me to the market. She took me to a traditional market a few months ago but that one was big, easily accessible and quite clean and organized (the one where I took all the colourful 'food' photos). This one was quite different. The drive in was through small villages and over rocky, windy, dusty roads. Along the way we saw quite a few new sights, for me anyways; unfortunately we were driving a little too fast for my dinky digital to take photos, and I felt a little 'touristy' sticking my head out of a nice car and photographing along the way.

One of the main things that we saw along the way were the rows upon rows of sheep, goats and cattle tied to wooden posts. Skinny sheep and cattle...the goats tend to roam a little more and they often get quite round in the belly. This weekend is a long weekend for schoolkids and teachers, but it's not a holiday for these animals. Monday is considered an islamic holy day; this is where all of the animals that I saw and photographed on Thursday will be sacrificed in the mosques, and the meat delivered to the poorer villages on the holy day. I was told that if we want, we are able to go and watch the slaughtering and distribution, but I'm not sure if that's on our agenda.

This sheep wouldn't look me in the eyes and I'm glad...I probably would have seen sorrow in them!

I'm convinced the goat below was asking me to help him escape. Plleeee--eeeease!

What was amazing about the trip was the road...once we arrived in the market area Henny had to drive along what looked to me like a tiny European lane, but this one was full of people, motorcycles, Angkots (beat-up minivans that stuff themselves with people and transport from A to B very cheaply), bike-pulled people-movers, and the odd other vehicle. Some of the traffic that she had to get through was jam-packed, but she did it! Once we got there, we parked and walked up the street a little ways. Eventually we ducked into the actual market, which is similar to the stall markets in Mexico, except they're darker, closer together, the roofs are a little 'rougher' and the floor space competes with little troughs where who knows what liquids run through them. I didn't look too carefully.

You could tell what kinds of stalls were coming by the smells eminating from them. Some sold clothes (a lot of baby clothes!) and personal items like sewing supplies (buy buttons individually, not in packages); these stalls were dusty but no threat to my senses. It was the dried-fish stalls beside the raw chicken stalls that were a little harder to take. However, I had asked to come along for the ride and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We purchased some vegetables and fruit at varying prices. Curiously, we had brought along Ibu Warsi, my friend Janet's helper, because she knows the area and so acted as guide. She is a 'true' Indonesian and was sold fruit accordingly. Henny, being Chinese Indonesian, was charged a little more than Ibu Warsi for the same product. Not sure what I would have been charged had I been there alone. I definately was the only bule in that area, at least as far as I saw, and I felt like I stuck out like the photo of Tris sitting amongst a bunch of Ghanian children.

While here it's my desire to experience as much of Indonesian 'true' culture as I can. What is true and what is touristy is an individual perspective, but I think I'd much rather shop in a dusty market (with help) than in an air-conditioned mall any day. My struggle is with the language, but as I've already experienced, even if I was to speak fluently, the fact that I am a bule is always going to be at the forefront of many of my experiences here.

After the market I went to a meeting for "Lippo Ladies." It's a group of women who raise money for various charities. When I first went I didn't think that it was my cup of tea because of the way they raised money and gave it out. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what they were doing but like I said, it was different than what I'd hoped to get involved in. However, a new woman, Sandy, has taken over, and she seems to be a 'hands-on' kind of woman. Together with a local church, Sandy and a few ladies have organized an outreach where some backpacks have been bought, stuffed with necessities and goodies for about 30 kids and babies, and they will be distributed to a group of families who live under a bridge on the way into Jakarta. When I heard this my heart jumped! It'll happen the day after mom and dad arrive so not sure if we'll have a chance to participate, but if this is what is going on, I want to be a "Lippo Lady!"

After the meeting I headed to school with a "Christmas chocolate cake" aka Wilma's chocolate Wacky Cake decorated with green and red icing hollies, and some mini gingerbread men. Grade 7 moms held a luncheon for Grade 7 teachers and I got to help out a bit. I love to go where there are Indonesian moms and get to know them a little. Yesterday was great because they'd all brought Indonesian foods (chicken satay with peanut sauce...the real stuff!) and to that we added some bule foods for the bule teachers. All in all it was a successful lunch and I think that the teachers were blessed.

Tris and I met after school to go to choir practise. This was a bit of a joke on my part because I've been fighting what Matthew had last week, and when my body is run-down the first to go is my voice. Regardless, I stayed for one hour and I think the concert on Dec 17th will be a good one. We sang with the school orchestra...it's beautiful seeing Senior School kids working together, and I especially appreciated the stringed instruments.

Being that this is a long weekend, we've planned a trip to Bogor, the old capital city, on Sunday. I'm excited to see what kind of photos I will get up there in the mountains amongst the gardens and the castle. We're also all looking forward to being cold!

The countdown to mom and dad's arrival is 7 more sleeps! Happy Anniversary to them, as well: 43 years!!

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim I want to be a Lippo Lady! I'll take Gravol on the plane so I sleep lots and will be raring to take the back packs out with you if there's room.I don't know how I would have handled seeing the goats,sheep and cattle all tied down for slaughtering.The market ride looked like a true adventure and that,s what I'm looking forward to.I still can't believe I'm actually coming to see you in 5 more sleeps . It will be be 8 before I can hug you.I miss you so much.(all of you )I didn't comment on the last blog but just want you to know Abby how proud I am of you.It certainly isn't easy to stand up and speak in front of a room full of eyes looking back at you.You will have grown so much in your confidence.Can't wait to be with my far away family! Love Grandma Bea and Poppa.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone, and belated Merry Christmas.....with best wishes for everything good and wonderful in 2009. I missed talking to J&B before they left, so am really happy to be able to follow all your adventures. I'm proud of all of you....such courage to pack up your whole family and move to the other side of the world to bring God's love and blessings to people. Take care, be blessed and give a big hug to J&B for me. Love and prayers.....Janis from PA.