Thursday, July 31, 2008

The First Day of School!!!


Well folks, the day has arrived. My family donned their plaids and pleats at 5:30 am this morning, ate a light breakfast and smiled cheerily at my camera at 6:20, then headed off to their new schooling adventure. They look like they're actually looking forward to it, don't they?

Rules of dress for the kids are: no ankle socks, belt for senior boys (ie/ no bum cracks, no fundies poking out), no jewelry except studs or sleepers on girls, no knees showing on any girls (jr or sr), black shoes, hair off the face at all times, shirts tucked in. You should see the Junior boys (Abby's classmates...): they get to wear long shorts. When you see this uniform on the kindergarteners (called "Kindy's" here b/c of the strong Aussie influence) you just melt.

I attended the Senior School assembly with a few other parents (parents are always invited to assemblies) and was very inpressed with the caliber of the whole event. What got me most was when the President of the School Council got up to pray for the new students and she prayed with authenticity (does that makes sense?) and with such a knowledge of the promises of God for the students. I felt relief at knowing that yes, my kids are in the right place.

One thing that I thought was interesting, regarding me missing Canada, is that when a photo was put up on the big screen of the guy who used to tightrope walk over Niagara Falls (from Canada to US side), I got all tight-chested and teary-eyed. I guess the Toronto is just close enough to remind me of home. :)


Not a long blog tonight. It's only 8:12 pm (6:12 am your time...you have yet to go to work/school) and we're all heading to bed.

Just a note...Tris is heading to India for 3 days in November, and I've been asked to substitute here at some point. Guess I'll have to find myself blues and whites in the next while, too...and a comfortable pair of shoes.
Give your family a hug for me.
Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

kim said...

i am just checking to see if the comments section is working yet. Sorry if you've been trying to leave a comment...we'll keep trying to figure out what is wrong!

Parson8er said...

I think it's easier to leave a comment if you have a blog with blogger...??? I don't know. You can change the settings of comments on your dashboard. Just don't allow anonymous comments, then you get strange people leaving political messages.

I'm enjoying reading your blog, what an experience. I'm sorry that Tris and the kids have to go to school already, what a drag! I'm still LOVING summer holidays! yay! sorry to rub it in.