Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Random Thoughts by Kim


Our new friend

For those of you who keep asking how to comment on a blog post, scroll down to the bottom of the posting that you would like to comment on, and hit "0 comments" or however many comments there may be.

As I write I am waiting to walk to the bus stop to pick up my kids...they're at friends and they're going to ride the bus alone. I just realized that Abby will be carting along her homemade Littlest Pet Shop 2-storey home in a laundry basket, so this may be interesting. The total cost for them to ride the bus home is $.70 altogether, for a 20 minute ride. I went grocery shopping, however, and bought what is called "ex-pat" food (ie/ wheat germ, cereal, specific spices) and it cost me $70.00 (700,000 rp) for 4 small bags. Cost is all relative here...I also just bought Mossimo t-shirt for $4.00 so that was nice. If you plan to come, plan to shop but don't have out of this world expectations because like I'm learning, and like the song says (here it comes) "You can't always get what you want."

I went shopping in Jakarta with my neighbour Kai and her friend today. Kai's a very friendly, nice person to be around. It wasn't the same as "girlfriend day" shopping with Kathleen, Julie and Marlene but I think (hope) that that will come in time. Everyone I have met here, ex-pat or national, has been extremely friendly and helpful.

Just recently, before I left Canada, I began purchasing Bath & Bodyworks through Naomi (only available in the US). Guess what I found today, in a big grocery store...Mango B&B! I would have bought it except that it would have cost me $16 and I wasn't prepared to put out that kind of cash, especially since I know that I would have paid less if I had bought it through the US.

Remember the lizard photo? Yesterday during lunch (of course) Matthew pointed out a dead carcass in our teeny backyard. Of course I had to look, and I believe it was the body of our lovely green lizard. How sad! It looks as though maybe a cat got to him and dragged him around for a bit. I guess that's life but it's still sad.

Tris and I met a friend the other night. Just as we were heading to bed I heard an "EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW, gross!" and I saw Tris trying to flick a huge cockroach off of our shower curtain in the ensuite. Gross was right. We got him down the drain in our floor (just like a laundry room drain...in the floor of our bathrooms) and then I Raid-ed it. Next morning, wouldn't you know it, there was an almost dead cockroach right beside my side of the bed. I figure he was out to get me but died just before succeeding.

If anyone goes and visits my parents during the times that we can connect (we're 14 hours ahead of West Coast Canada) please help them set up their webcam so that they can hear us talk. They can see us and we can see/hear them, but that's it. I'm tired of writing flashcards for them:) That would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I've uploaded a photo of my new look b/c some of you have asked (and I can't do it on Facebook...i can't seem to upload any photos on FB, any ideas???)

Thanks for reading.

No comments: