Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Our Journey

As I said earlier, many of you have been asking about how we got here and want a play-by-play. I'll do the best I can to make it interesting, but...

We flew out of YVR on July 13, 5:35 pm and headed to San Fransisco. While in YVR Tris' family was there to see us off, and we also ran into the LeGoff's. Some lady just about took me out while I was standing in line at BKing, and when I looked up there was a big, friendly smile. It was Julie, who was heading to France with her family.

After 2 hours we landed in SF and waited for 5 1/2 hours. During this time we ate dinner, made a few phone calls using the phone cards Kathleen gave me (thank you X3!) and Matthew played chinese checkers with his crazy uncle Darren on Skype.

We were supposed to take off at 1:20 am, but there were electrical difficulties. Once on the plane we waited an hour, during which the safety video malfunctioned; we were okay even when, during take-off, a bunch of glasses smashed to the ground b/c someone forgot to lock a door properly. It was a little disconcerting but we were too tired to really care. After 13 hours we stopped over in Hong Kong, then 3 more hours to Singapore. While on the plane we had met up with another family: Stephen, Janet and Eric (12), Neil (10) and Hope (4) who were headed to our school as well. Also, we met another Steven who, when we were all together, helped tremendously in getting all of our gear together in one spot. We all headed to our hotel, had dinner together at a local bar, where 2 of the 5 kids fell asleep. Of course we couldn't resist this photo...



We also saw Raffles, a famous hotel that Aunt Sam told us we had to see. This is the place where the Singapore Sling was invented.









The next day we took a bus around Singapore, went up on the Singapore Flyer (an observation ferris wheel) and the kids swam in this really neat pool.


We flew out of Singapore around 9 pm and arrived in Jakarta about 10:30. It was around midnight when we got to our new house and the adventure that was waiting for us there...


Just a note about how well our trip went. Not once did we have to pay overweight charges, not once did we have our bags searched or lost. I got frisked once but I don't think I looked like a criminal...it was probably just routine:). Customs was always a breeze. We really felt God's grace during our journey, from the timing of when we met our new friends to finding and loading up all of our luggage, to arriving safely in our new house.
















1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey!!! Who's crazy???

Oh yeah, Matthew..."I am the champion....I am the champion....I amm the champion....OF THE WORLD!!!" I forgot to sing that when I beat you heehee.
Great pics guys. Makes me want to visit, especially when its raining here.
Love you guys....

Unca D

ps keep trying me on Skype.