Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Candace left early, early Sunday morning and our quiet life has continued just as when she was here. Of course, we're not getting massages and cream baths because that's more of a treat, but with Tris home we don't do a whole lot outside of the house. I just got a FB message that she made it home okay, all the way back to the good ol' Comox Valley. I can't help but envy her a little.

After we dropped Candace off at the airport early Sunday morning, Matthew and I drove...well, Haris drove, we rode in the car...into Jakarta for morning church (first time in a year!) and then some outlet store shopping for some clothes for Matthew. The kid keeps on growing!

Today I had the privilege of joining a few of my charity group ladies on a trip to a leprosy village in Tangerang. The people who live in this village have been diagnosed and treated, and they live here with their families. Many of them have children, and to those of us who know very little or nothing about leprosy, it is a good report to know that the disease does not get passed on to the next generation. The village itself was built by the dutch and is a mix of Christian and Muslim villagers. Our pastor friend told us that it's the 2nd generation of lepers (is there a better term for them??? What is politically correct?) or actually, families of the leprosy patients who are now living there.

A few of the people we met today were pastor Don, the guy carrying the 50 lb bag of rice (beras) donated by the charity group. It will be distributed by the local pastor (didn't catch how to say his name properly, but his son in the middle of the photo is Abrahim) to those who need it most. I don't know about his wife, but the pastor himself was a victim of leprosy and came to the village because of it. Eventually he realized what position/role he could play within the village and became a pastor. I'd love to hear his whole story.

The photo of the two people in a store are a married couple, no children, who run a small village version of a 7-11. As for the puppy, who wouldn't take a photo of a cute puppy when a camera is handy? I'm pretty sure he was posing.


Finally, this is the group of us that were on the trip together, along with 2 of the villager ladies. Neither lady has family and so they live together in the same home.We are Esther, Kylie, Trish, Amanda and myself. The two teeny tiny ladies are Indonesian.
I met a friend and got to practice a little Indonesian on him. If I remember correctly, his name is Iin.


On our way home, near the airport and the village we visited, is the largest mosque in the Tangerang district (our district). I have never seen it before.



Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Colleen and Jussi said...

I wish you guys were closer I would love to come, thankful for Candace getting home safe and sound. Luv reading your blog!

Dale said...

Hey who is the young boy? Or did I miss that..... good catching up on your blog .
I found my book finally along with my missing shoes! Hey I miss you MY FRIEND:)
I'm going to go to a speaker at church on Wed night for ladies only and hey they even have a secret sister thing .... do you think I should even dare!

kim said...

He's the friend, Iin, that I made and practiced my Indo on him. I miss you, too! Yes, do the secret sister thing. It worked for us...you even got a trip 1/2 way around the world from the secret sister thing!