Saturday, September 26, 2009

Holidays are almost over

I've lost count of how many days into holidays we did what, and now the holidays are rolling to a close in a few days. However, although they're coming to an end, we've had a great run of things. We still haven't done anything terribly exciting but we've had some great times spent with friends. Someone will put the word out that an event is going to happen and then a bunch of people show up at the meeting place. This week, after our swim-in theatre night, we went to a waterslide park called Waterbom (we don't say the word 'bomb' here, so it's pronounced 'boom'). I went on some pretty scary-drop rides and still lived to tell about it. Everyone came home a bit on the red side, but other than that we had a great time in the sun and water.

Yesterday a large group of us (including at least 10 kids under the age of 5) went skating at the only ice arena that I'm aware of. It's on the third floor of an incredibly decadent mall, where when I was there last December there was fake snow falling the length of 6 floors from the ceiling. After 2 hours of skating the gang all went to Pizza Hut for lunch, except I must admit, a friend and I (we both have older kids) snuck out to a great Thai restaurant for the lunch hour. I don't get much opportunity to try out new restaurants because usually when I'm with someone they have a favourite they want to go to, so this was fun. The food was awesome and the price was right, so if you plan on coming for a visit this is a place I'd love to show you.

Today we did housework for the first few hours. I still haven't touched a toilet in a year because I've now delegated that to the kid during the holidays:) It takes hours to do laundry, especially for it to dry, and then we usually have to iron it afterwards. The weather has been incredible and hot, so we don't have to worry about drying out the clothes with the iron at this point. When there's ironing to be done, Abby loves the chore so it's hers. Me, I like floors and all the kitchen related stuff.

Because most people head home to their villages during the holidays, the traffic has been very light. You plan to get somewhere in an hour and it actually happens. Incredible! I am wondering if the lack of vehicles in the city has contributed to a lack of pollution and that's why the sky has been blue everyday of the entire holiday. Sounds like a great theory but I'm not sure of its accuracy.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: