Friday, October 24, 2008

Mock-'kim'-bird aka 'Whistle-bird'

Do you remember, those of you who were with us in the 'early days' of our blog, my reference to a 'whistle bird'? There was a bird that used to greet us each morning outside our window, and it sounded just like a safety whistle. Sometime it would be quite close to our house and at other times it was quite far away. After a while we either got used to it or it went away. It seemed loudest when school began in those first mornings of August...

That leads me to my discovery/disclosure, and I will say, I am not afraid to make fun of myself. However, the mocking stops there! I have a perogative to laugh at myself, you can laugh behind my back, but don't mock me to my face...

I was doing something the other day, and with the way my week has been it was probably something sedentary; while I was thinking about our arrival to Indonesia, a though came to me. It hit me that the whistle-bird sounded terribly familiar and that I hear it only in the mornings when school begins (and drivers drop off their human cargo) and in the afternoons when school is out (and drivers pick up the same students they dropped off earlier). Duh. The whistle-bird isn't a bird at all. It's the taman and school satpam (security) with their whistles; they direct traffic each morning and afternoon and LOVE to use their whistles while doing so.

However, I will always remember the whistle-bird and how it made us feel like we really lived in the jungle in the mornings.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a hoot Kim!Love Mom