Wednesday, October 15, 2008

So the story on Abby is this...today she didn't get the awards that I was told that she was going to get BUT they did announce it during the Junior School Assembly.

Yesterday the parent-teacher interviews went on and I was the first parent to be schedules for Abby's class (Matt's are next week). To make a long story short, Abby's teacher, Mr. Jonathon, was very pleased with Abby's work and her attitude in class. She received all 'highest distinction' marks (highest you can receive) in both english and biblical studies. These are the classes for which she was going to be given an award today, but apparently the awards were not finalized by the time of the assembly and so they are going to present them at a later date. However, Abby ALSO got an award today for her excellent attitude and contribution to the class, and so she had to stand up with other students in Junior School to receive a clap from her Junior School mates. It was at this time that, when they announced Abby's name for today's recognition award, that they also announced that Abby had received her awards for Biblical Studies and English. She had no idea and so it was fun to watch her face when she realized what the students at the front were saying.

As pleased as we are with Abby's academic excellence, what got Tris and I choked up was the report on her attitude and presence in her class. Mr. Jonathon was very pleased how Abby does not praise herself or show off her great marks in class, that she helps others and does it quietly so that she doesn't draw attention to herself, and has a very mature and responsible attitude about her relationship with God and with others. [By the way, she may not brag about herself, but it's my job to do so:)] When Mr. Jonathon told me this was when tears came to my eyes, and I noticed that when I was repeating the interview results to Tris, it wasn't when I told him of her good marks, it was when I told him of her integrity in class that he teared up as well. Why cry? There is just something about knowing that what you are teaching your child and hopefully sometimes even modelling is registering in your child, and that you are doing an ok job as a parent. We've told Abby (and Matt too) that we're more excited to hear of good life choices than of good grades (but good grades are important, too. I need to add that just in case the kids read this.....).

That is this morning's news in a nutshell. I'm excited for when Abby comes home and we can talk about how she felt knowing she is being rewarded for all the hard work she's done over the last 3 months.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Abby.First of all I want to tell you that it's hard writing to you because it's 4:49 in the morning ( I'm not very awake) and my eyes are leaking after reading your Mothers Blog!I am so incredibly proud of the person you are both as a student but more than that even for the kind.humble.sensitive person you've become!I would love to be able to give you a grandma hug right now but I'll just have to save them up till I see you in 57 days!I just reread what I've written and hope you understand it.Jesus really had a plan for your life when He sent you to Indonesia for this time .My prayer for you is that He becomes so real and so close to you.He loves you so very much and His plan for your life will be unlike anything we could have dreamed up or wished for you .Have a wonderfull day Abby.See you soon! I love you and miss you soooo much. Love Grandma Bea.xxxooogpwnduzy