Monday, May 11, 2009

Accidents and Miracles

Last Friday and yesterday (Monday) morning I had more opportunities to go and spend other peoples' money. This time Kylie (Lippo Ladies) and I purchased guitars for both the village school we've raised funds for, and Rumah Anugerah, the orphanage I've visited periodically since our arrival here. Along with the guitars we were able to purchase some toiletries for the teens at Rumah Anugerah (house of grace) and some other small school-type treats for the village school.

Coral and I enjoyed a drive to RA last night, when we were picked up by the orphanage's driver and taken on the way to see RA's 8 passenger vehicle that was totalled the week before. I have included photos of the little van made of tin not because I want anyone to worry about us over here, but to know that good things happen even in bad situations. This little van was completely totalled; the policemen who attended the scene were absolutely amazed that everyone came out unscathed, and especially that the driver even survived. If you look closely at the steering wheel and front seat you'll see that there's no room for a body, yet the driver climbed out unhurt. When Papi, the 'dad' of the orphanage, went to where the vehicle was initially towed, it was placed next to a similar vehicle in similar shape, and was told that the driver had died in that accident. We're chalking this one up to a miracle, and so are the 7 Rumah Anugerah passengers who were in the van that night.

As we were driving away, Coral and I started talking about things we'd consider miracles in our lives here in Indonesia. One that Coral is especially fond of is her story of when, a while ago, she was standing in the local supermarket line-up and started chatting to the lady behind her. The reason Coral was in the line-up in the first place is because RA was having a bit of financial difficulties and so she wanted to go and buy them a few boxes of noodles to tie them over. Noticing the boxes, the lady commented on how much Coral must like noodles :) and this opened up a discussion of RA (although not any discussion about their financial needs). After paying for her groceries, Coral headed to the ATM at the side of the store and the lady, unknown to Coral then and now, approached her and asked if she could donate some money to RA. Of course Coral said yes, and the lady went to the ATM and took out 10 million rupiah, which is the equivalent of $1000.00, and just handed it to Coral. How's that for God's goodness? Coral touched the lady's arm and said (in Indonesian) "have you come from heaven as an angel from God?" The photo here is of my friend Coral, just so you can see her smiling face and picture it while you read her story.

Another miracle that both Coral and I have had a bit of a part in through prayer is one that involves a baby. Friends of ours became pregnant and, because in Indonesia ultrasounds start from the first visit, they found out that the baby was not in the uterus. Instead, the pregnancy was a tubal one, and the ultra sound picture showed just that. After a lot of prayer, our friends went back for a second visit a few weeks later and the baby had moved from outside the uterus into the exact location where a healthy baby grows and develops in the womb. We were REALLY excited about this one. Unfortunately the baby is going to be born outside of Indonesia and we'll have to rely on photos and maybe skype to see him/her grow. Thank the Lord, however, that there is a baby!

Sometimes our miracles are big and there are numerous small miracles, some that I think we take for granted as soon as they happen. I know that my God is bigger, greater than I can possibly imagine, and to know He's caring for me and my family gives me peace that I just cannot explain. I love to hear how God is working in the lives of others around me, too. I'll keep you posted on what He's doing on our end, but let me know how He's working in your lives, too.

Last night, once we left the little red van we headed to RA to deliver the toiletries and guitar to the kids. I took a few photos to show the rest of the Lippo Ladies how their fundraising efforts made these teens smile. The Yamaha guitar was no more than $100 yet the consensus was that it was one of the more expensive ones they'd ever had. My comment was to please not baby it, but to play it until it can play no more.

Well, my friend Dale is on her way here and I've just received a message from the airline saying that her plane is delayed about 1 1/2 hours. I've done all I can to prepare and now I've blogged. It's midday so I don't want to go out for a walk or I'll get all sweaty. My plans to go and buy flowers for her arrival have been generously squashed by Esther, who just arrived a while back at my front door with orchids and jasmine in hand. Now they're scenting up my living area and they are just beautiful. As for the banana cake I wanted to make, Sri is in the kitchen enjoying some time baking...she's getting the baking bug too, I think. Not sure how or what I'll do, but I am going to try and find something productive for the next 40 minutes.

Thanks for reading.
Note: just for the record, the red van and our fender-bender of 2 posts ago have absolutely nothing in common.

No comments: