Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mothers' Day!


Today is Mothers' Day, and it seems to be celebrated almost as much here as it is at home, at least among the English speaking communities. There are no advertisements for it in the malls or anything, but the moms at school sure talk a lot about it! The English speaking bible study that I go to at school hosted a Moms' luncheon on Friday, with lunch, singing, a game and a few speakers. I was supposed to wear batik but don't really own any yet, so that's the next thing on my list of things to do in order to 'settle' here even more. As for my family today, I am not sure how we are celebrating, but if we hang out that would be the nicest. I know that I don't have to do any dishes today so that's the best for sure! Right now my kids are sleeping and Tris is talking to Sunny (his mom) on skype. I just tried my mom on my computer and the connection was terrible. Go figure! Tris' conversation is great. Anyways, mom, if you read this today, please know that I love you and am proud to call you my mom. One of the biggest compliments to me is "You sure are like your mom!" Happy Mother's Day.

On days like today I tend to think of the things that I am thankful for. Sundays are good days for just laying in bed (we go to church on Saturday nights) and thinking. Last night we were in our first (and last!) fender bender while we were with the Comries...in their vehicle, not ours. A taxi stopped in front of us and a motorcycle with at least 2 people on it almost hit the taxi; Bruce stopped to avoid hitting the motorcycle and taxi and within seconds a second taxi hit us from behind. What was the damage? No injuries (thank the Lord) but the bumper that the Comries just had replaced from a hit on their vehicle in a parking lot got kind of scratched up. No injuries, a bumper that needs repairing, and lots to talk about in the car. That was our time in Jakarta last night, and I am thankful that nothing worse happened.

I am also thankful for the women in my life. God has blessed me with such an incredible circle of women to teach me, encourage me, love on me and for me to do the same back with. What is absolutely incredible is that this circle now extends around the world. It goes from Indonesia to Germany to Australia to Mozambique to Sweden to the US to Scotland and into Canada. As life changes and people begin to filter back to their home countries that circle will include even more people in more places. I am amazed at how God brings certain women into my life when I need them most, and from those points of meeting our relationships can grow. I realize sometimes we meet women and they are only in our lives for a short time, but I have found that even those relationships have influenced my life in some positive way. So, I thank God for my women relatives and friends and even acquaintances. This post celebrates moms, but it celebrates my women friends in general, too!

Thanks for reading.

No comments: