Sunday, May 10, 2009

Last Week

I wrote a post earlier this morning and afterwards realized that there was a bunch of "grandparent stuff" that I forgot to mention (by the way, apparently Canadians use the term "bunch of stuff" a lot). Last week was a busy week for all, except Tris, who is simply fighting a state of comatose during the school exams.

Matthew danced a third time last week, this time for the grade 3s. After they danced, the hip hop group had a class session with the younger kids, teaching them hip hop. Matt's dance teacher, Miss Kara, approached me on Friday and told me that I should be very proud of him. Apparently during the teaching session, he did really well communicating and relating to the younger kids, and they all had a blast. She was very impressed with her dancers and made sure that I was aware of how well Matt had participated.

Abby played in a basketball tournament this weekend and her team won 3 out of 4 games. They ended up in second place and lost the 4th game 6-0 to a team that they originally lost 23-0 to. I'd say that the 17 points difference was pretty significant! The girls did a great job and worked really well as a team.

On Thursday morning I went along with Janet and her pembantu (helper) to a local village market. This was a little piece of "real Indonesia" right inside Lippo, where we had to walk a muddy, grassy path, over a muddy river on a narrow cement bridge and around a mosque to get there. It was quite comical because the mud was so sticky and my flip flops so flat that I kept getting stuck, much to the dismay of Warsih, Janet's ever-running-never-walking pembantu. I'd take a step and it was like my foot had cemented itself completely in the mud; I had to pry my foot out after ever 3rd or 4th step. By the time we returned to Janet's car Warsih even had a good laugh at my expense...I had dirt flicks up my back and legs. I had to scrub in the shower that morning (2nd of the day and it was only 9 am) with a scrub brush to get the mud off my feet and legs. I didn't take photos but on Saturday the Weedas went back and took their camera. Check the photos out on the Weeda's blog (see "blogs I read" to the right).

Thanks for reading.

No comments: