Monday, March 9, 2009

A Good Day

Today was a good day. Because it's a holiday Monday (Muhammed's birthday), our family just hung out and had fun. Our day mostly consisted of being together; we did get to the pool at noon and stayed until 2:00 pm. There we were able to visit with a bunch of different people that we usually don't get to see. Often word gets out through the grapevine that someone is organizing a picnic or swim time and people just show up. I love it. I'd say that there were about 30 people there (?) including kids. Afterwards we watched a movie, played a few hours of Settlers of Catan (viking version of monopoly!) and then ate popcorn and read books. Not earthshaking but quite relaxing. Tris is almost finished his masters...3 more weeks...and so a day off was a good thing for him.

Tomorrow I head to Jakarta with about 6 other ladies (and 2 babies!) to show our newbie Sylvia Faddegon (originally from Vancouver, Canada but raised her children mostly in India) her way around some of the shops. I'm looking forward to it. In terms of cash, I don't have a lot to spend because I just returned from a Women of Excellence retreat yesterday, but it's still fun to go with friends and have lunch. We'll be heading to a few stores I've never seen either, so it'll be new for me. Apparently there's a baking supply store that sells all those things we take for granted in our home countries.

This weekend was super at the retreat. I went with few expectations, and hoped to just be able to fellowship with other women. I met a few who live in Jakarta, and that's great because it's nice to get out of the SPH circle once in a while. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's very tight and it's just nice to move away from it now and then. What's ironic is that I love to socialize, yet I ended up through various circumstances (like a cough and needing rest) spending a lot of my spare time alone. Years ago I would have really disliked that but now I thoroughly enjoy it. The focus of the weekend was Worship and Praise as warfare, and how we often view God as revolving around our lives, yet it's our lives that should revolve around Him. It's sacrifice rather than comfort, and it was a really good review of past teachings that I've had through other conferences. It's one of those topics that makes me rethink my priorities and examine my motives. It shocks me sometimes how selfish my motives really are when I take a good look at them.

Today was also a good day because of Facebook. Can you believe it? I used to slam it pretty good, but I've been able to reconnect with family members that I haven't seen since I was pregnant with Matthew. It's weird but I think that through FB I am getting to know some people, just through their photos and back and forth chatting, better now than I ever did growing up. That's okay, because it's better late than never.

I hope that you had a good day, too.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I ccccccould go shopping and out for lunch with you.It sounds like you got refocused this weekend and that's always a good thing!Facebook takes up a lot of time when you get reconnected with people. It's great but hard on one finger typists!Love You. Mom.