Monday, March 30, 2009

Heavenly Raspberries


"You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..."

There's a lot of wisdom in that saying. I miss things from Canada, who wouldn't? Sometimes I even see things on the shelves but they're just too darn expensive. Like a small bowl of raspberries for approximately $6.00. We're talking a small bowl.

One of my closest friends here in Indo is leaving for the US next week and she'll be gone for 3 months. Since I show love through food, what better way to tell her that I am going to miss her by making a nice lunch for us to share together? Wouldn't you know it, I happened by the raspberries today at our local Food Gourmet and a small bowl's worth of raspberries was selling for 27,000 rp, which is about $2.50. What a deal! Needless to say, I paired up our raspberries with some creamy smooth chocolate ice cream and we enjoyed our afternoon together.

During our lunch we were discussing memories and how they are triggered so randomly. What brought on the discussion was that earlier I was in the kitchen making lunch, and I was really hungry. I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast and so my palate was clean and anticipating. When I was washing the raspberries I popped one into my mouth and POW, memories of hot summer sun and spending lazy days at my grandpa's place at Sproat Lake sprang to mind. My memory then moved into more recent days where my kids and I would be out in the early mornings picking raspberries from our own bushes while they were still wet with dew. I love the warm sun shining on our backs and the smell of raspberry juice on our fingers.

I wonder what tastes or smells are going to bring me back to Indonesian times in the future?

Thanks for reading.

No comments: