Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tail of Death

It's not as bad as it sounds. Just the tail died. On Saturday night we headed off to church in Jakarta, and just before we left I whipped up the dishes. Unfortunately there were a few extra dirty ones, so I left them to soak in our dishes basin. Normally I don't let things soak overnight because the water gets so slimy and stinky, but I forgot to tackle them when we got home. Sunday morning came around and I found the same dishes sitting there, waiting for me. Do you ever have those moments when something is happening that is weird and you just take a "normal" application and apply it to the weird situation? What happened to me is that I removed the dishes and then dumped out the water. When I did, three fish were slapping around in the water that was swirling down the drain. Of course I wondered "how the heck did those goldfish get in there?" That's the moment I was asking you about. Ever have one of those? Like the goldfish somehow found themselves at my front door, let themselves in and jumped into my sink. Or maybe my helper came home early this weekend and put her fish in my basin? Weird.

Turns out that the 'fish' were 3 (not one, not 2 but 3!) cicaks that had somehow fallen into the water and were drowning. Thankfully none were dead but they were a little water-logged. Matthew came to my/their rescue and scooped them out of the sink onto his arms. One crawled around to his back and so when Matthew sat on the couch (on my couch!!) it jumped off of him into my cushions. Dropping the other two on the floor, Matthew grabbed the escapee by the tail. He ran into the kitchen with a grossly twitching tail but no cicak. I've heard it described with chickens that've lost their heads or salamanders, but never actually seen a wiggling tail of death. Later on Matt saw the tailless cicak so all is well with the cicaks in our home.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: