Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Around the House

Yup, he's finished. How can I tell? Easy. The other day I was laying on the bed trying to finish the last few pages of a really good book, a book that Tris finished 2 days before. Up comes Tris, who flops down across the bed and starts chatting with me. When I answer monosyllabicly he just lays there and stares at me. Then sighs (a guy sigh). Flops onto his back and asks me another question. Finally, I look over my book (which he knows I'm trying to finish...he's the one who knows how it ends) and stare at him. My question to him is "don't you have some project or something to do?" Of course, with no shed, no wooodworking shop, no tools, no space, no garden and NO MASTERS he really doesn't have a whole lot to do. Actually, that's not totally true because once people get wind that Tris has "time" on his hands outside of the schoolwork he always has to keep up with, I think he'll be asked to fill in various roles around school (ie/ coaching basketball has already come up). Realistically, I think that Tris will fill his time wisely but that really was a funny incident...I am glad that he has time to chat and sigh a guy sigh and flop onto his back in relative boredom.

Yesterday at bible study we were sitting around telling animal stories, and I love that each of us has such a unique "animal past" because of our geographical backgrounds. A few of us had West Coast (North America) stories about squirrels getting into things and cougars and bears wandering near our campsite or home. Others had stories about monkeys (India) taking revenge on the laundry lady who early the same day had chased them away from her clean, hanging laundry. When she returned later that afternoon all of the laundry had disappeared, and it wasn't until she looked 50 feet up into a neighbouring tree that she found it (probably with the monkeys thumbing their noses at her). Another (New Zealand) had stories of different festivals being held when she was a child and her mom telling her not to eat the meat (her mom knew what the meat originally was...horse). There were even more such stories and I love just to sit and listen to others tell of their past; of course I always have a story to stick in there myself.

Recently we've had a few visitors to our home. The other day Matthew checked out 2 nests that had fallen from the palm trees in our front yard. Wouldn't you know it, one had 2 little eggs in it still (unbroken, too). In the photo, the large white thing is a golf ball, so it shows just how little these eggs are. We also had a large rat that we discovered last week during a thunderstorm...we were standing at the front door and he was cowering under our car, drenched from the rain. When he saw our open door he made a beeline for it, and Matt, my friend Jamie and I all screamed (yes, screamed, just like in the movies) and hopped around trying to slam the front door. Once he saw the door shut he detoured to a hole that we've been trying to keep filled near the side of our house. Thankfully, that same rat was found dead 3 days ago, laying near our car, poisoned by a visit from the pesticide man (while we were away in Jogja). About 2 weeks ago we were taking photos of our friends the Myers, and a large moth was sitting on the tree just above them. That hand (Dalenea's) is about the same size as mine.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: