Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Super Woman!!!

And they say being a housewife is easy! Today I saved a life, assisted in the creation of 2 cakes, quesadillas, creme brule, crepes, omelettes, apple enchiladas and fettucini alfredo; I learned a language, read an entire book on Christopher Columbus, went to a rockin' hip hop concert, and am now attempting to write it all down.

Well, not exactly. I DID save a life, technically speaking, because the kid in FoodTech who was washing his blender beaters under a steady stream of water forgot to unplug the beater first. I could have almost saved another life but the kid who I told to tie his shoelaces to totally ignored me and continued deep frying his breaded shrimp. Fortunately he never tripped. As for the food, I had the privilege to volunteer alongside Ibu Elsje, who is the FoodTech teacher, and today was the day grade nines did their last practical (actual cooking). As a result, I was able to "speak into" the creation of a whole bunch of recipes; four hours worth, to be exact. I got to sample some, too, and sometimes that's a bit of a stretch for me, especially since I've been sick twice with food related illnesses. It's a toss up for me which is the biggest stretch: the communal bowl/plate with individual spoons (very common in Indonesia apparently) or the kids cutting raw chicken/meat and not washing their hands and knives before they cut the veggies. Obviously that is what FoodTech is for, to teach them to NOT do just that, but hey, sometimes it's a big learning curve.

As for the language, I only learned how to go shopping for recipe ingredients and to barter for them, BUT it did take up 2 hours of my day and that's pretty significant in the life of a mom. It's no lie that I read a book about Christopher Columbus, but the stretch is that I read it over a grade 4's shoulder while he read it aloud. It had four chapters and I learned a lot! The queen of Spain was Queen Isabella and I would never have remembered that from grade school. Also, Columbus was a rather nasty, self-centered man and when you learn about him as a kid they sometimes forget to mention that. This was a pretty informative book!

Other than waking up, the best part of my day was the concert. The star of the show? Our son! He is part of a Hip Hop dance team and is the only boy of 7 students. Can you imagine how proud we are as parents? Talk about brave!! Almost as brave as my own brother who took ballet at 14; I think HE did it for the girls, and I have a feeling it paid off. However, I digress....Matt was so good up there on stage. The best way to describe him (and you can quote me on this) is that he is like a wet noodle with beat and a backbone. I tried to dance his dance with him last Saturday at the gym and couldn't quite get the smoothness that he has. I'm not "noodly" enough. For those of you who may consider yourself a fan, I am hoping to figure out how to upload videos to this blog and when I do, I'll let you know. Unfortunately, my camera batteries died this morning AFTER I left the house, so I do not have any stills.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matthew is such a natural when it comes to dancing!I've had just a glimpse of the wet noodle look and would have loved to see the entire wet noodle dance.Love Grandma Bea.

Anonymous said...

What a life you're getting Kim!Can you cram any more into your day? You are going to need to have a break from allyour ventures.Saving lives AND gourmet meals in one class and you wonder what teachers do.It was a good thing you could help. Love Mom. (I've seen a bit of the noodle look in you come to think of it.)