Thursday, April 2, 2009

Countdown begins!

This is my friend Dale O. She lives in Courtenay and is heading this way for May 12 (Mother's Day!). I wouldn't allow a countdown before April because that just takes way, way too long. Mom started on day 72 I think, when they came, and I just can't do that.
So, Dale, I'll let you start the countdown and I will just wait patiently on this end for your plane to arrive.

Life here is quiet. Today is the last day of school and then school's out for a week. Needless to say, my family is very excited. Next week we head to Jogyakarta (Jogja) with the Weeda family for 3 nights. Jogja was the original capital city of Java and so is full of rich heritage. That is where the Borabudura (sp?) Buddhist temple is, a must-see for anyone in or near the area. Unfortunately, although mom and dad wanted to see it during their 5 week stay, our days were too packed to head in that direction. There are also a lot of Dutch heritage buildings, old temples and apparently some great shopping. Our hotel is quite near the bird market, which is a place that Matthew read about before we came to Indo and has wanted to see since.

Our latest news is that we've hired a driver, which is quite freeing for me. Since I don't want to drive outside of Lippo (and some areas inside if it can be helped) I haven't strayed too far without a driver. His name is Haris and he's with us 3 days a week. We are all on a 2 month trial and so we'll see how he does. So far he's quite capable and our car looks great! He has limited english and so with our smattering of Indonesian we are just able to get things across. I have a language book that I often study while riding in the car, and I notice that he's been peaking at it now and then. I'm not sure how much knowledge he has of physical Jakarta but that's okay, we'll all learn together.

I am heading to the Dr again today once Tris gets home. Seems I've caught a bug that just doesn't want to let go of a free ride in my stomach. You'd think it would be a great weight-loss program but instead of weight loss I've experienced muscle-mush. What that means is that everytime I get well enough to exercise I work out for a bit, walk and do all the good stuff that will make me fit, and then I end up spending a stint sitting/laying around the house while the bug runs its course. Nothing much to worry about but it does get frustrating. One of the good things is that I have had time to organize, sort and burn onto dvd my older photos. I'm now getting really creative and compiling a list as to what photos are on what cd. There is a silver lining in every cloud!

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Dale said...

"38" more sleeps according to my counter Madison! So I'll just get her to continue to keep me informed and I'll continue to gather the "goodies" on the list!
We are stunning are we not ?

Matt said...

hey mom just so you know for next time its borobudur

kim said...

cheeky fella! For your information I probably spelled it 3 times before I gave up!