Sunday, April 19, 2009

Trivia Night for Education

A few months back a friend of mine who is also a member of Lippo Ladies, had a great fundraising idea. This friend, Kylie, suggested a trivia night for people who live within Lippo Village. Lippo Ladies has, in the recent past, been known to put on extravagant balls with all of the extras, and so a mere trivia night might seem to some as almost anti-climactic. I have personally been thrilled with the response; most people who buy tickets say to me "I'm so excited! I love trivia!" or at least "I am terrible at trivia but this sounds like a fun night!". Many posts back I wrote of how a few of us Lippo Ladies went to tour a school to determine whether or not we'd support the needs of this particular school. It was decided that the funds raised from our trivia night would go towards buying books and musical instruments for this school, and since then preparations have gone forward full-tilt. The two key organizers are Kylie and the president of LL, Sandy S. After months of planning, asking for donations (the raffle prizes that have been donated are quite incredible...much nicer than we had imagined), organizing a venue and selling tickets (all of which was mostly done by Kylie and Sandy), the Trivia For Education night happens this Saturday. I'm looking forward to it!


Kylie & Sandy painting at the muslim school


Last week LL had an opportunity to bless another school; this one is in a kampung (village) within the Lippo district, and I believe it's called Sukabumi. A bunch of volunteer painters were organized to come to the school early on Thursday and to paint a newly built room. In this school there are many children, a few beat up classrooms filled with desks and chairs that are of the same caliber, and some volunteer teachers. Admittedly, I have to say that in one way, it was disheartening because although the kids were very well-behaved, it didn't always look like there was a teacher to lead them through the day. I was quite impressed, actually, that although there were very few adults present, the majority of the children kept out of trouble and just 'hung out' until an adult arrived to their classroom. At one point we got some of the boys doing some work for us moving things around; we had to return a second day to finish a 2nd coat and during our absence someone had filled the classroom with desks, chairs and a whiteboard. I had to leave before the room was completely painted and so I have not seen the finished room, but I did see the blue paint and it was a very cheerful, clean colour.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are keeping busy helping with the lippo ladies-it really is a good cause, I love you,Mom.