Monday, August 11, 2008

Dominoes

A friend and I were talking today about how if we were to continue counting how long it has been since we left our homeland, we wouldn't be able to transition to being residents here. However, I do know that it has been 4 weeks because it does still pop up now and then in conversation (a commonly asked question is "how long have you been here?"). As I look back to how we got here and how God set everything up for us, I realize that we really are where we are supposed to be, as much as some people would prefer otherwise :)

Way back in November I was laid off and I took a little while for myself...then when I began to look for jobs, nothing came up. There were jobs out there that were made for me, yet I couldn't even get an interview. We were frustrated and kept wondering what I could do differently. Early spring I felt that I was to step down from a volunteer position (which I enjoyed) at a homeless drop-in center, with not much of an excuse as to why. I just felt that God was saying to drop it, so I did. During my free time, I challenged myself to turn off the radio, tv and sometimes the telephone and computer, just to see if I could live without them. It sounds kind of weird, but I would force myself to sit down on the couch, no noise, alone and just sit. That's it. Twenty minutes of sitting...no talking, no visuals, not praying or thinking deep thoughts. Sounds a little bizarre maybe, but again, I felt like I needed to challenge myself in this area. Could I just sit? Well, if I didn't learn in it Canada, I'm learning it here. I, Kim White, can be alone for hours without tv, radio, computer (well, I do go on the computer more now that we have one at home all the time) and sometimes telephone. With sms-ing and hand phones (cells), unless you hide it or turn it off, it will go off throughout the day, which I don't mind. What I'm getting at is that I really think that God was preparing me to be creative with very little resources, to be alone sometimes, and to be content in the place that he has put me. I struggle a little with the latter but that's a different blog entitled "whiner," I'm sure. I am content that I am here, I am with my family, I have time to learn a variety of skills I have wanted to work on, and I know God has something in store for me. However, if anyone has a direct line and wants to fill me in....

As for our preparations, it is obvious that we are supposed to be here. If the events in our lives were dominoes from even before we decided to come to our arrival, the domino chain would be smooth and uninterrupted, from the sale of our house to our problem-free journey here. That's not saying that we don't miss our family and friends, and our dog Willie (he wouldn't like it here, except maybe chasing all the feral cats); we're just saying that we're glad we came. I do miss lots of hugs, that's for sure. I guess that I have to make sure that I collect on this end.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: