Thursday, August 7, 2008

Our office...your bedroom



Well, we've finally purchased and set up our home computer. Yeah! Now I can blog all through the day if I like. I can take pictures and download them, I can FB, I can sit and stare at the empty screen if I so desire. The only downfall about our lovely new (black) computer is that we do not have a desk to put it on, so our desk is the box that the hard drive came in. It actually is ergonomically correct for me (if I slouch just a smidge) and so there are no complaints from me. Our hope is to purchase some authentic furniture here in Indonesia that we can one day take back home with us, and so the desk may be our first choice. Maybe a bookshelf, too. Once we hear of someone actually coming to our house to visit we'll invest in a lovely sofabed as well. I feel as though we've just gotten married and had 2 babies in the last month and now we need to set up house.

Tris heard some good news today. He has been made Head of the Science Dept. Apparently his workload isn't that much greater but he loves administrative stuff and is quite happy to take on the job.

Matthew and Abby are starting to sign up for various extracurricular activities now and are getting busy outside of the house. Matthew is taking keyboard in school and so will have opportunity to play during chapel with a band. He has found a few friends here (going to a birthday party tomorrow) and it's great to have him come home, drop off his bag, change out of his uniform and go out to play. Sometimes we don't see him until 5 pm (dinner at 5:30, dark at 6 pm). He and a buddy did their homework right after school together and then watched part of Monty Python's Search...Grail. Finally after all these years he gets the humour...and he gets it good!

Abby is beginning badminton Aug 16th and will do basketball in January. She somehow missed her opportunity for choir try-outs but she will be playing handbells during the school music program. We're trying to line up a piano teacher for her outside of school. I've met an awesome Indonesian mom who is married to a Canadian...she teaches RCM and so we're hoping she'll take us on. If she does Ab will have to ride an Ojeg (motorbike) to her piano class once a week so she'll be thrilled.

As for me, I'm still trying to find my niche. I've been to a variety of meetings, which isn't necessarily my style but it's the best way to find out where I will fit. Through these meetings I've also met some incredible ladies. As of yet I am trying not to commit to anything until I see where I will be able to make the best use of my time. I know that God will put something in my path. There's a lot to get involved in and I don't want just keep busy...I want to do what God wants me to do. We've only been here 3 weeks yesterday so I'm not really stressing. For the next while I am just concentrating on learning the language (Bahasa Indonesia) and reading up on Indonesian history.

I haven't done a post on food yet, but it's been really good. Sri is an excellent cook. She cooks 5 times a week, but tomorrow night we're ordering in for the 5 of us...and I'm almost embarassed to say what. We are taking the opportunity to do something we've never done in Canada...we're ordering McDonald's by phone and having it delivered by Ojeg. Including sundaes. You can order a burger with spaghetti on the side but I think I'll pass.

God is good and we're seeing it continuously.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: