Sunday, August 17, 2008

Indonesian Independence Day

So it's a quiet Sunday for us but it's a busy one for nationals. It's Indonesia's Independence Day today. Not sure on the story of their history, but during my quiet times I've been reading up on Indonesian history so when I get to that chapter maybe I'll fill you all in...or as our guest Steven Poindexter from Louisville, Texas says...I'll fill y'all in. We spent our morning at Living Faith church here in Lippo and then went to our neighbours' house for lunch. Chris and Val live kitty corner to us and they were kind enough to take us to church and feed us as well. Steven was at their house and we'd previously invited him to have dinner with us, so he's been well-fed today. Steven is one of the people that we met in Singapore and who we've established a great friendship with. Matthew loves hanging with him and I've posted a photo to prove it.

We haven't been very good at taking photos of our whole family together at the same time, so we're posting one of those as well. What I've discovered, for those of you who may want a photo off of our blog, is that you can click on the photo (for some of you it may be a right click) and print it off. This photo was taken at the end of the day and so we're kind of "shiny"...you sort of forget how much you sweat until you see a photo of yourself:)

Not sure what's on the agenda for tomorrow, but it's a national holiday and we're going to just relax. Our hope is to go and buy a chicken (from a supermarket...already dead and plucked and gutted) and some baby potatoes if they're in stock and make a nice Canadian style dinner. We're eating well here but it's nice to have the odd meal that we're used to eating. I am so glad that I took the time to make up a book of favourite recipes before I came, because it has come in handy when we need a little pick-me-up (ie/ wacky cake or Chris Patterson's lemon loaf. Sunny's wheat germ loaf has been a hit as well with some ladies here). The photos in the book have been great too, when I want to show someone a photo of my family or friends...or Willy.
On Friday, our anniversary, we went out to dinner with a bunch of Candadian teachers from SPH to a chinese food place called "Eastern." I'll include a few photos of the event...the food is so colourful that I had to take a photo. The hit item is a plateful of peppered crab, which is so drippy and saucy that usually whoever is eating it has to run to the sinks provided at the front of the restaurant mid-crab just to rinse off in order to be able to grip the next crab leg. I had earlier mentioned that the Canadian speaker who is at SPH is from Albert...I was wrong. He and his wife Lois have just recently moved to Kelowna and are working through Briercrest. Great speaker; I went to a talk on parenting teens and it was very good.
I've got to head now.
Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim I just found out about your blog. It's great to hear about what's happening with you guys. Keep it up!!

Anonymous said...

Kim.I have so many things to ask you.Please call as soon as you can.Abby and Matthew please start making lists for me so I can start looking for what you miss.Iam so excited about coming to see you.Christmas will be so unique this year.Who would ever have thought we would be spending it together in Indonesia! Imiss all of you soo much. Love Grandma Bea.(Mom)xxxxoooo