Friday, August 29, 2008

Wet Market photos


This won't be much of an info blog because I just want to share my newest photos with you. These are pictures that I've wanted to take since I got here. Our friend Henny was kind enough to take me to the wet market again early this morning. There are so many colours and smells and people and it's a great place to visit! Most of these photos will be self-explanatory but I'll try and fill you in if need be. One of my favourites is of the dead, plucked chicken that has his neck folded under his wing and his head poking out the other side. Another is a posed shot of a good sport; he's got his cleaver ready to cut off the head of a chicken. I think that my favourite is the first one, which shows a variety of spicy sauces and peppers and some veggies, too. It gives the best shot of the overall 'feeling' of the market. In case you are wondering, the long, skinny hairy thing in the beef stall is a tail. Not sure how you'd cook it, but it's probably the main ingredient of 'oxtail soup,' which I've read about over the years in various novels. Maybe I'll get the recipe for when one of you comes to visit. When in Rome!

This is a variety of tofu. Not sure how you cook or eat it, but it sure looks neat! Not sure what the green/white stuff is either, but I know it's something mixed with soy beans and then wrapped in banana leaves. I may have even eaten it at some point but i'm not sure:) The fellow below was "pssst'ing me, wanting me to take his picture. He's a coconut juicer (you can see the machine near him). Unfortunately, they use the water out of the tap and at this point our stomachs are still a little unprepared for that, otherwise we could have bought some and tried it.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: