Monday, August 18, 2008

No photos today

Okay, so I am struggling with the photo section of this blog today and so we will be "photoless" until further notice. It's kind of like eating a DQ buster bar without the chocolate coating and the peanuts/fudge at the bottom, but the ice cream is still tasty! I have a few things I would like to share with you and so I'll just post a photo album blog in the near future (the near future being when my husband comes home from work and can tell me how to adjust my browser settings...). I forgot to add a few photos in my last blog, one of Matt and Steven Poindexter and the other of our anniversary meal out with a bunch of Canadians (including the food that we ate...very colourful and delicious). Again, they will be included in the next "photo" blog.

Our weekend was as near normal as we've had yet here. After our dinner out on Friday night (our kids hung with Bruce & Judy Comrie's kids at their house...pizza and tv) we spent the day alone Saturday. If I have ever doubted my husband's love for me, I no longer do (not like I did before but this goes to prove...). Together we took a taxi to the nearby district of Serpong to go shopping at the Summeracon mall (mal Serpong). This was an adventure in itself because Saturdays are super busy in malls and even busier in traffic...and our taxi driver didn't speak English OR know where the mall was. Eventually we found it, and Tris spent the next few hours helping me try on clothes. Just for the record, if you come to visit and expect that you are going to find clothes to bring home, think again. Clothes here are made for teeny, tiny Asian bodies. Most of my shirts that I found are large or extra large, and these were hard to come by because most arms on the shirts are super tight. The mall itself is quite North American and has a very pleasant atmosphere about it...I think that Tris might have even enjoyed himself. The best part was when we bought 2 sets of rackets...one tennis and one badminton. Since then we've been going out with the kids and pretending that we know what we're doing on the courts. Saturday night we played on the courts and then the 3 others went for a swim until dark (6:30); I called them out when an electrical storm starting blowing in our way.

I mentioned our Sunday in my last blog...it was a great day in that we got to know our neighbours better and had Steven over to our house. Of course the highlight of Sunday for me personally was to watch (LIVE!) Northgate's 9 am church service on Skype. Eugene G was kind enough to set it up for us and although we couldn't see everyone's faces (kind of blurry) we were able to make most people out. There were comments like "O look, that's Mrs. Gaglardi! She always claps with her hands in the air!" or "I think that that is ____'s bald spot!" or "Hey, that's Ted on drums" "I see Mrs. Sparkles (Rebecca M)". Needless to say, although we went to bed late, we were happy to see a bit of home. Thanks Gene!

Yesterday, Monday, was an official holiday for SPH so I went (again) to a mall with Janet Weeda. We shopped (hunted) and were able to get our hands on a few more items that made us feel like we are getting more settled. I've found various items around but they've been either poor quality or too expensive...yesterday I hit the jackpot. In Canada I'd been looking everywhere for a 24 minimuffin tin...found one here for $4 (40 000 rph); also found a rolling pin for $4, which I've found here for usually for $12-20. I'm still looking for a welcome mat, but when I find the right one, I'll be a very happy renter. How can I invite people into my home without a welcome mat at the front door???

Last night while Janet & I were resting in our own homes, the guys took 4 of the 5 kids to the go-carts and then we all met for dinner at DJ's steak house...not anything like the Keg...more like DQ...but it was fun. I did take some photos which, as I said, I will post later. We are very thankful for the Weeda's and their friendship.

So, that was our weekend. It was definately a weekend of discovery and new-found freedom (we went beyond Lippo on our own...with very little Bahasa-Indonesia); we relaxed and we shopped; we ate out and hung with friends. Does life get any better than that?

As an aside, I'll post how my last week went a little later, and it will be obvious why this weekend was such a good one for me.

We are really starting to miss our family and friends, our (old) house, our Willie, fresh water lakes, fresh air off the ocean and even our van!

Thanks for reading.

No comments: