Tuesday, August 5, 2008

travel

So, we haven't done much travelling outside of Lippo Karawaci because we do not yet own a car, but we have experienced most means of travel within. A few people/families over the past 3 weeks have been very kind and generous by letting us tag along with them to shopping malls, church, restaurants and to the outskirts to shop as well. We don't have any photos as of yet re: the ways that we travel, but there are a variety of ways we get around.

The first way we get around is by foot, and that's because we live in the taman closest to the school. I timed myself when I went to pick up Abby today and it took me 3 minutes from door to pick up area. During those 3 minutes I still managed to "drip-sweat" because it is around 3 pm that I head to school. I did walk to the mall area this morning for exercise and it wasn't that far, actually. Maybe a 15 minute walk. However, to do it in the sun takes a lot out of you so usually if I head to the mall during daylight hours (6 am -6 pm) I take an Ojeg, or a motorbike. It's about 50 to 70 cents a ride, depending on where you want to go. Everytime I take one I think "my mom would think this is a hoot!"

If I don' t feel like living on the wilder side I take a bus, which passes our taman every 30 minutes. I now know enough Bahasa that I can tell the driver where I want to go and even be polite about it. The busride is about 35 cents per person. I like the system here where you don't pay until you arrive at your destination. I have memories of UBC where it was raining and I just barely reached the bus before it took off, and then had to stand (surf) next to the driver while he was driving in order to find the correct change or my pass. Here, you can go and sit down and collect your wits before you need to find cash. One day I plan on riding the whole route so that I can see all the tamans and where the bus heads.

Quite often if Tris and I go to the mall after dark we will bypass the ojegs and buses on the way home and take a taxi (taksi) instead. It costs a bit more (usually $1) but we suck up the extra cost and take the luxury vehicle. I say this tongue and cheek but many of the ex-pats are telling me that I have to start thinking in terms of Indonesian currency, which means that I have to start comparing the 3500 rp busride to the 10,000 rp taxi and determine which is a better option financially. Really, it's only 65 cents difference but I guess that's what "they" mean when they say "when in Rome..."

Finally, other than taking up offers on rides from those with car and driver, we have the option of riding a bike. New friends of ours here have been really generous with their time and with things that they have for us to use, and they've just lent us 3 bikes to use. As an aside, I am thoroughly impressed by how people have treated us this entire time. I realize that we're all in the same boat, but they've chosen to walk in compassion and are very friendly and accommodating with us. This is one thing that I thank God for everyday. That and that my kids are enjoying their new lives. Anyways, it is our hope to one day own our own car and be able to pick up people from the Jakarta airport without asking someone else to do it for us.

On that note, I do hope that some of your are making your plans to come out. For one thing, I need to be able to show off all of the neat places I've been taken around to...AND...I need some of that taco seasoning that you get in the big plastic jars from Coscto, as well as a bag of buttons. There is a huge supermall here and I cannot buy one single button here. Completely off topic, I know, but that one thing seems odd to me. Other than that, my frustration levels are extremely low.

Thanks for reading...(and thanks Vince and Kate for the postcard...we've received 2 cards and they're both from you...I know others have mailed things and we check the 'pos' regularly)

No comments: